Digital Image Processing Laboratory
Medical Imaging Physics Group at the Center of Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, Medical University Vienna
Our group is devoted to applied research in all aspects of medical image processing in clinical medicine. Research carried out at our department covers the fields of medical image processing and image-guided surgery, the development of software solutions for given clinical image processing applications, evaluation of hardware for image-guided therapy, medical robotics, augmented reality in medicine, and image-guided radiation therapy. Beyond academic research, it is our task to disseminate our experience and research results within the curriculum of the Medical University of Vienna.
- Our lab is deeply involved in the re-design of the University Course "Medical Physics" at MU Vienna, the one official program that yields an EFOMP compliant basic education for Medical Physics Experts.
- A revised and enhanced second edition of the textbook "Applied Medical Image Processing - A Basic Course", authored by Lab Members Wolfgang Birkfellner, Michael Figl and Johann Hummel, is completed and will be published soon from Taylor & Francis.
- Our Lab welcomes Frida Hauler and Miro Jurisic as Early Stage Researchers in the Marie-Curie ITN Project SUMMER.
- We are proud cooperators of the Christian Doppler Laboratory for Medical Radiation Research for Radiation Oncology at the MU Vienna.
- A reference dataset for 2D/3D and 3D/3D image regsitration was published in Medical Physics - more details on the phantom and on getting the data can be found here ...
- Radiotherapy and Oncology - the Green Journal - has published the first major results of our FWF projects on ultrafast 2D/3D registration - a free copy of Gendrin C, Furtado H, Weber C, Bloch C, Figl M, Pawiro SA, Bergmann H, Stock M, Fichtinger G, Georg D, Birkfellner W. "Monitoring tumor motion by real time 2D/3D registration during radiotherapy" Radiother Oncol. 2012 is available - just click the hyperlink. An illustration from this article also made it to the cover page of The Green Journal.
Current Research Projects
Our main focus at the time lies in the development of novel applications for image-based registration and tracking in image-guided therapy. Currently, our lab is conducting or participating in several research projects supported by the EU and the Christian Doppler Society.
Our group offers several courses on applied medical image processing, imaging physics, and graduate courses. These are mainly part of the new medical curriculum of the Medical University Vienna (for instance the methodical seminar "Applied Medical Imaging, Image Processing, and Visualization" for undergraduate medical students of the Medical School, thesis seminars within the PhD-program "Medical Physics" of the Medical University of Vienna, and the MSc - Course on Medical Physics held at our institution. For details, please refer to the current Academic Schedule of the Medical University of Vienna.
- Wolfgang Birkfellner, Associate Professor, Medical Physics
- Michael Figl, Associate Professor, Medical Physics
- Hugo Furtado, Research Associate
- Peter Homolka, Associate Professor, Medical Physics
- Johann Hummel, Assistant Professor, Medical Physics
- Rainer Hofmann, PhD Student
- Andreas A. Renner, PhD Student
- Jiri Sliz, Erasmus Student
Former Group Members
- Amar Bhatia, Research Associate
- Amon Bhatia, Research Associate
- Christoph Bloch
- Maria Chatrasingh, Exchange Student
- Daniella Fabri
- Gabor Fichtinger
- Christelle Gendrin
- Frida Hauler
- Miro Jurisic
- Marcus Kaar
- Supriyanto Ardjo Pawiro
- Jakob Spoerk
- Christoph Weber, Diploma Student and PhD - Candidate
- Michael Woletz